Saturday, June 15, 2013

Jackie's Journey


On Tuesday I went to see my Endocrinologist because my Primary Care doctor was concerned about my thyroid functions and my weight.  I booked an appointment at The Endocrine Center in Katy (about an hour south from Conroe) to see Dr. Daniel Tung.  In his bio from the website he specializes in hypothyroidism (which is what I have) and weight management....perfect!!

After waiting for a while, we finally got back to see the doctor.  He was very thorough with his questions asking about my major complaints, my eating habits, thyroid symptoms, and more.  He told me that he was going to increase my thyroid medicine as my labs showed that it needed to be increased, and he put me on a strict diet plan to help lose weight.

My diet is based on eating 4 major groups: meats, veggies, eggs, and nuts.  Dr. Tung said I could have any type of these categories, whether it is steak, pork, chicken, fried chicken (YES,he said i could eat fried chicken), barbeque, all types of veggies, eggs any way, and nuts of all varieties.  For beverages, I can only drink water, unsweet tea, and black coffee.  I have been enjoying drinking unsweet tea, which isn't that bad, and water with flavoring.

Everything else that is not encompassed in that list is pretty much a no-go.  I am not allowed to have pasta, rice, potatoes, cereal, milk, soda, sugary snacks, and anything that is high carb and high fat.  Jonathan and I have cleaned out the pantry and cabinets so that I am not tempted to sneak anything.  I have had a hard time finding something that is sweet to eat.  My sweet tooth is STARVING, but I usually just make some ice water with some flavoring, and it helps.

So far I have lost 4 pounds!!  I made a chart that I put in the bathroom to help keep track of my progress. Every day I weight myself and then mark it on the chart.  Dr. Tung said that he would like to see me at 170 lbs and he talked about making long term changes so that I don't relapse back.  My goal is to get to 170 lbs, but then go a little lower, maybe to 160 lbs or 150 lbs.

 

1 comment:

  1. Good for you Jack, keep up the good work! It will eventually get easier and become first of mind. You are my inspiration!

    ReplyDelete